Sunday, August 31, 2008

Top 10 weekend draws at the box office: 8-29-08 To 8-31-08

1. Disaster Movie
This weekend is all about who sucks the least. Or rather who the general public perceives to suck least. Because WE all know this is probably the lead contender for terribleness. The only other possibility for the top slot is Babylon AD which they aren't advertising for. So what can I do?
Estimate: $13.7 million
2. Babylon A.D.
I should get it put in to my contract that I don't have to project anything under $10m. That would give me most of April and August off.
Estimate: $11.5 million
3. Tropic Thunder
I was really pleased to see this win another weekend. But the "victory" only means so much, don't kid yourself, this one is being considered a failure by the studio financially. Which means we've doomed ourselves to more juvenile comedies meant for the lowest common denominator. Yay us!
Estimate: $10.6 million
4. The House Bunny
No one could work up a solid hate for this one. Which sort of makes it good I suppose. I have a more interesting question for ya though; How will Burn After Reading do? Have the Coens made new fans by winning an Oscar?
Estimate: $8.1 million
5. Traitor
Good thing this opened on a Wednesday to get the BUZZ started! Hmm? What's that? You've never heard of it? Oh.
Estimate: $7.2 million
6. College
With the other comedy out there I don't know how a person chooses to imbibe this. I will say that I'm seeing it tomorrow, but only because I get paid to do so.
Estimate: $6.4 million
7. Death Race
This is the other reason I'm skeptical about Babylon A.D.'s chances. This was a big dumb actioner that everyone passed on. Why would Vin Diesel's film be any different?
Estimate: $6.0 million
8. The Dark Knight
Maybe Hollywood read the schedule wrong and thought the NFL started this weekend? Or perhaps they thought the Olympics were going down still? Whatever the case we've clearly been abandoned this weekend. Bastards.
Estimate: $5.6 million
9. Hamlet 2
It's not funny. But I guess it's interesting. So if you're looking for something to say "hmmmm" about this weekend then by all means, check this one OUT.
Estimate: $4.8 million
10. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
I've got this one narrowly beating out Pineapple Express. That is all for now. We'll recap this disastrous weekend come Sunday.
Estimate: $2.5 million

No comments: